FactsOfIsrael.com News, Comments and Links

<- Back to Main page

July 19, 2002
 Send to Printer    Link to this page
Over 80% of Palestinians would back Iraq if U.S. attacks

Ha'aretz (www.haaretzdaily.com) reports that in a recent poll it turns out that over 80% of Palestinians would back Iraq and Saddam Hussein if the U.S. attacked.

A random sample of 1,000 Palestinians aged 18 and over were asked "How far do you support the notion that the Palestinians must support Iraq as they did in 1991, if the United States strikes again?"

The survey found 51.6 percent strongly agreed and 28.3 somewhat agreed, for a total of 79.9 percent in favor.

Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat sided with Iraq during the Gulf War. During the conflict, Palestinians stood on their roofs and cheered as Iraqi Scud missiles struck Tel Aviv and other Israeli cities. A popular Palestinian chant called on Saddam Hussein to destroy Tel Aviv.

The Iraqi ruler, for his part, has been supporting the Palestinians in their current conflict with Israel, notably by sending up to $25,000 to the families of suicide bombers.

I copy the full article below.

Poll: 80% of Palestinians would back Iraq if U.S. atttack
By The Associated Press
http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/pages/
ShArt.jhtmlitemNo=188738&contrassID=1&
subContrassID=0&sbSubContrassID=0


Almost 80 percent of Palestinians believe they should support Iraq as they did during the 1991 Gulf War if the United States launches renewed military action against the country, according to a poll published Friday.

The survey was conducted in March by the Palestinian Center for Public Opinion. It was not published at the time because IDF soldiers and Palestinians were fighting in West Bank cities, said the center's director, Dr. Nabil Kukali.

"The Palestinians had such problems then that the time was not right," he said.

A random sample of 1,000 Palestinians aged 18 and over were asked "How far do you support the notion that the Palestinians must support Iraq as they did in 1991, if the United States strikes again?"

The survey found 51.6 percent strongly agreed and 28.3 somewhat agreed, for a total of 79.9 percent in favor.

Only 3.6 percent were strongly opposed to the proposition and 6.9 percent were somewhat against it, which gives a total of 10.5 percent against. The survey said 9.6 percent of those asked didn't know.

The margin of error was plus or minus 3.09 percentage points.

Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat sided with Iraq during the Gulf War. During the conflict, Palestinians stood on their roofs and cheered as Iraqi Scud missiles struck Tel Aviv and other Israeli cities. A popular Palestinian chant called on Saddam Hussein to destroy Tel Aviv.

The Iraqi ruler, for his part, has been supporting the Palestinians in their current conflict with Israel, notably by sending up to $25,000 to the families of suicide bombers.

Posted by David Melle at July 19, 2002 09:06 AM
Comments

good

Posted by: bala on September 30, 2002 10:05 AM
Post a comment 
Name:


Email Address:


URL:


Comments:


Remember info?



Email this entry
Email this entry to (please enter email address):


Your email address:


Message (optional):


Referrers to this Page

FAIR USE NOTICE

This site contains some copyrighted materials the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.




(According to digits.com)