FactsOfIsrael.com News, Comments and Links
<- Back to Main page
52 year-old father of 3 murdered by a Palestinian genocide bomber
Faces of the Victims has published the story of Dr. Mario Goldin, a 52-year-old Israeli father of 3 who was deliberately murdered by a genocide bomber from one of the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas ("Islamic Resistance") or Islamic Jihad.
On April 22, 2001 a Palestinian genocide bomber blew himself up in Kfar Saba, murdering Dr. Mario Goldin and injuring over 50 people, including many women and children.
To send condolences or to donate to Tirza's family, please click here.
I copy below the full story on the homicide/suicide bombing.
Faces of the Victims
April 22, 2001 - JERUSALEM (April 23) - Security measures are being further beefed up on the eve of Independence Day following yesterday's suicide bombing in Kfar Saba, in which Dr. Mario Goldin, of the city, was killed along with the terrorist, and 50 people wounded.
One of the wounded, a 14-year-old boy, was still in critical condition in the city's Meir Hospital last night. Two others were moderately hurt and the rest were suffering from shock and minor injuries.
In a separate incident yesterday afternoon, a bomb exploded near the busy Checkpost junction at the northern entrance to Haifa, lightly wounding three policemen. Police said the bomb had been packed with nails, strengthening initial indications that it was a terrorist attack, although a criminal motive was not ruled out.
Insp.-Gen. Shlomo Aharonishky, who went to Kfar Saba, told reporters that police activities had been increased from yesterday morning in the run-up to Independence Day and on the basis of assessments of the security situation.
"That doesn't mean that what existed before was better or that today the situation is better or worse. We are working according to capability and the situation in the field," he said. "We will continue to do our utmost and deploy maximum forces.
"I hope that together with the municipal leaders and the rest of the nation we will succeed in dealing with these terror attacks, minimize them, and enable events and festivities on Independence Day to go ahead."
Aharonishky urged the public to go ahead with Independence Day events as planned, but to be vigilant and report anything suspicious.
There have been 10 bombings or attempted attacks in the Sharon region in the past few weeks, including those in Kfar Saba, Petah Tikva, Netanya, Neveh Yamim, and Hod Hasharon.
"The Sharon district and the central region generally is the country's soft underbelly as a result primarily of the impossible proximity between Jewish communities and the Green Line, and that's why we are putting emphasis [on security] here," said Aharonishky.
He maintained that obstacles, be they ramparts, fences, walls, electronic surveillance devices, or more security forces along the Green Line, would help prevent infiltrations by terrorists. Even then, however, there is no guarantee that a lone suicide bomber would not be able to carry out an attack.
After the suicide attack, police arrested more than 20 Palestinians in the Kfar Saba area who did not have permits to be in Israel. Local residents, as well as Mayor Yitzhak Wald, said hundreds of Palestinians cross over from the vicinity of Kalkilya on an almost daily basis.
The attack occurred shortly after 9 a.m. at a bus stop on Rehov Tchernichovsky near Rehov Weizmann, one of the main junctions in the town. The bomber, who was spotted beforehand by local residents who were unable to do anything to prevent the attack, waited amid a crowd of people, including soldiers returning to their bases after Shabbat leave.
When the No. 29 Egged bus, which runs from Kfar Saba to Ra'anana and Herzliya, pulled to a stop and the driver opened the doors, the bomber took up position near the rear and blew himself up.
Police said all the casualties had either been standing outside or sitting in the rear of the bus. Most of the wounded were taken to Meir Hospital, some 500 meters away. Around 10 others were taken to Beilinson Hospital in Petah Tikva.
Goldin, 52, married with three children, was in charge of the pain clinic at the Beit Levinstein rehabilitation center. He also helped in the orthopedic ward at Meir Hospital and had treated and helped many victims of terror attacks.
He was on his way to examine patients at Meir Hospital and decided to take the bus, apparently, because his car had broken down.
Colleagues and friends said he was a "genuinely good man" and an outstanding doctor who had pioneered the establishment of the pain clinic and whose main aim in life was to ease the suffering of others. He had worked at Beit Levinstein since immigrating from Argentina 24 years ago. He is survived by his wife, a physiotherapist at Meir Hospital, two sons, and a daughter.
No group officially claimed responsibility for the attack, although it was believed to be the work of Hamas or Islamic Jihad, which have carried out similar bombings. Police were not immediately able to identify the remains of the suicide bomber, nor piece together how he reached the scene or the size, type of bomb, or how it was detonated.
Senior police officers stressed that investigations were still in the initial stage and it was difficult to say whether there was any connection between yesterday's attack and others in the Sharon. Nevertheless, Aharonishky said he was optimistic that police and the security forces will apprehend those responsible, as had been done in other cases in Jerusalem and Netanya.
The blast at the Checkpost junction occurred around 5.30 p.m. Police received a call about a suspicious object in the area. According to a report on Channel 2, some merchants had seen a motorcyclist place a bag near the shops and then ride away.
Police were at the scene within minutes and were in the process of moving people out of the area so sappers could deal with the suspicious object when it exploded, lightly wounding three officers.
Initial reports said it appeared to have been a nail bomb indicating that it was not a criminally-motivated attack, but a terrorist attack that failed because of the public's vigilance.
Northern region commander Cmdr. Alik Ron is to present the man who first reported the incident with a certificate of commendation.
A special inquiry team has been set up to investigate the attack in cooperation with the General Security Service.
Police are also appealing for people who were in the area at the time and might have seen the bomber to contact their nearest police station. A senior officer said last night that there is no doubt the man who reported the suspicious object had helped prevent a potentially deadly attack and more serious casualties.
FAIR USE NOTICE
This site contains some copyrighted materials the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.
(According to digits.com)