FactsOfIsrael.com News, Comments and Links

<- Back to Main page

January 15, 2004
 Send to Printer    Link to this page
Palestinian terrorist blows herself up murdering 4 Israelis

The Jerusalem Post (www.jpost.com) reports that a Palestinian murderer, mother of 2, has blown herself killing 4 Israelis and injuring 9:

Two soldiers, a border policeman, and a security guard for a private manpower company, [who were] murdered by a female suicide bomber at the Erez crossing between Israel and the Gaza Strip on Wednesday morning, will be laid to rest Thursday.

The four were killed and nine others wounded when a female suicide bomber blew herself up inside the terminal at the Erez crossing between Israel and the Gaza Strip on Wednesday morning.

On any given day between 10,000 to 30,000 Palestinians are allowed to go through the Erez crossing, a gateway between the Gaza strip and the State of Israel (see the maps page for more details).

Most of these Palestinians wish to simply work and feed their families, but unfortunately some Islamic fascists continue their murderous terrorist attacks. After the mass murdering terrorist blew herself up, the flow of Palestinian workers going into Israel was stopped.

The Hamas ("Islamic Resistance"), the Palestinian Islamic Jihad and Arafat's Al-Aksa Brigades are racist intolerant bastards who reject any peace with Israel and wish to murder all Israelis and Jews - for more information click here. For a list of mass murdering homicide bombings executed by these Muslim fascists since October 2000, click here.

I copy the full article below.

Four suicide bomb victims to be laid to rest today
By MARGOT DUDKEVITCH, Jan. 14, 2004, Link

Two soldiers, a border policeman, and a security guard for a private manpower company, murdered by a female suicide bomber at the Erez crossing between Israel and the Gaza Strip on Wednesday morning, will be laid to rest Thursday.

- St.-Sgt. Tzur Or 20, from Rishon Lezion will be buried at 14:00 at the Holon Military Cemetery.

- Cpl. Andre Kegeles, 19, from Nahariya will be buried at 15:00 at the Nahariya Military Cemetery.

- Border policeman St.-Sgt. Vladimir Trostinsky, 22, from Rehovot will be buried at 14:00 at the Rehovot Military Cemetery.

Security guard Gal Shapira, 29 from Ashkelon will be buried at 14:00 at the Ashkelon cemetary.
Read the victims' personal stories

The four were killed and nine others wounded when a female suicide bomber blew herself up inside the terminal at the Erez crossing between Israel and the Gaza Strip on Wednesday morning.

Thursday morning, those wounded remain hospitalized at Barzilai hospital in Ashkelon, one in moderate condition and eight lightly wounded.

Palestinian Foreign Minister Nabil Sha'ath, speaking from Copenhagen, said the Palestinian Authority could stop such terror attacks, but Israel must first halt its attacks on the Palestinians, Israel Radio reported.

The wounded five Israeli civilians, three soldiers, and a Palestinian woman were taken to Barzilai Hospital in Ashkelon, where two were in satisfactory condition and the others in good condition.

The attack was the tenth at a Gaza Strip crossing.
"Such incidents will only serve to prevent thousands of Palestinians from placing bread on their tables and earning a living," an IDF officer told The Jerusalem Post. "The suicide bombing is an attempt to undermine the symbol of Israeli and Palestinian coexistence," he said.

Hamas and Fatah's Aksa Martyrs Brigades claimed joint responsibility for the attack.

The suicide bomber was identified as Hamas member Reem Salah al-Rayashi, 21, who was the mother of two small children from Gaza. It is the first time that Hamas has dispatched a female suicide bomber to perpetrate an attack.

Hamas spiritual leader Sheikh Ahmed Yassin said the use of female suicide bombers marks a change in the movement's strategy.

"For the first time, Hamas used a female fighter and not a male fighter," he told reporters. "It is a new development in resistance against the enemy.... Resistance will escalate against this enemy until they leave our land and homeland."

Rayashi said in a video it was her lifelong dream to become a suicide bomber. "I want to be the first woman to carry out a martyr attack," she said.

Rayashi drove from Gaza in a taxi with two other Palestinians. At the Palestinian Police checkpost near the Erez industrial zone, she got out of the car and headed for the crossing, where she stood among a group of Palestinian workers applying for magnetic cards. By then, some 3,600 Palestinian laborers had entered the industrial zone.

As Rayashi approached the soldiers at the checkpoint she passed through a metal detector, triggering an alarm. One of the soldiers asked her to pass through the detector again. After passing though a third time, Rayashi told him she had a platinum plate in her leg. The soldier asked her to wait for a female soldier to arrive and carry out a body check, and allowed her to step inside the terminal.

Rayashi entered and a few meters from the door blew herself up.

Liz Hadida, the soldier summoned to search Rayashi, was wounded in the blast.

"I was just getting a glove to carry out the search when there was a huge explosion," she told reporters from her hospital bed. After the blast she said the terminal was a wreck and was enshrouded in darkness. She described Rayashi as a large woman who did not act suspiciously.

Rayashi was one or two meters inside the terminal when she blew up, OC Gaza Strip Brig.-Gen. Gadi Shamni said in a briefing with reporters.

"What we see are the ongoing attempts of the terrorist organizations, who take advantage of our intentions to ease up on the Palestinian civilian population and allow them to enter Israel to work, he said."

Shamni said the incident would be fully investigated and the necessary security changes would be made.

Asked whether the soldier who allowed Rayashi into the building was mistaken in his judgment, Shamni said: "I think he thought that the woman was innocent and wanted to help her."

He said there are no plans to ban the entry of workers from the Gaza Strip, despite the attack.
"I think we will choose the time and the place to respond" to the attack, Shamni said.

Col. Yoav Mordechai, head of the District Coordinating Office at the Erez crossing, who lost two of his soldiers in the attack, told The Jerusalem Post: "The suicide bomber took advantage of her gender, knowing that she would not be asked to lift her clothes as the males are to ensure they have no explosives strapped to their bodies. She also took advantage of her medical situation.

"The vile attack will only result in harming the Palestinian civilians who want to work, the very people we try to help. We are constantly faced with the dilemma of finding ways to help the civilian population and, at the same time, maintain our security concerns."

After the attack, the extensively damaged terminal was closed and the workers sent back to the Gaza Strip, Mordechai said. He said security officers would meet to discuss alternative options to facilitate the entry of Palestinian laborers. "It is our morale obligation to differentiate between the civilian population and the terrorists," he added.

Mordechai said Tsur served at the DCO in Erez for 18 months and was a dedicated soldier. Kegeles was recently drafted and had served for only two months, he said.

"The soldiers, with their bodies, prevented a female suicide bomber from blowing up in the center of the country," Mordechai said. "They were the first filter."

By the afternoon, the walls near Rayashi's house were already freshly spray-painted with her name and a blessing from Rayashi, who was a member of Hamas's military wing, Izzadin Kassam.

"She was handed over to the Aksa Martyrs Brigades to be trained by our women," said Aksa Martyrs Brigades spokesman Abu Jhandal. Rayashi's training lasted some 60 days, he added.

According to Abu Jhandal, Rayashi had taken seven practice runs prior to the suicide bombing, reaching the first area of Israeli security processing before withdrawing. He said there were four gunmen in the area ready to back her up in case she was apprehended.

Hamas has been reluctant to coordinate or train with the Aksa Martyrs Brigades in the field, Abu Jhandal said, adding that he hopes coordination and cooperation between Hamas and Fatah would continue in the future.

Hamas and the Aksa Martyrs Brigades vowed that they could deploy another 100 such "female martyrs."

One of Rayashi's neighbors, Reem Al-Dahdou, 30, the mother of five, cradled her two-month-old daughter as she condemned the act.

"What she [Rayashi] did was wrong, wrong, wrong," she said. "Anyone who sacrifices her son can also sacrifice herself. But as a woman, I can do what she did to help our people without killing myself. I can raise them and teach them to love their country instead of blowing myself up."

Others who congregated around the Gaza funeral tent disagreed. Abu Marwan, 39, one of the mourners, used a metaphor to show his approval for the bombing.

"There is a kind of fatwa [religious decree] that says the slave can go to the jihad without asking his master," he said. "A young boy can go without asking his father. A woman can go without asking her husband."

He said he would have no problem with his wife doing the same.

Elsewhere, a Kassam rocket fired from the Gaza Strip landed harmlessly inside Israel.

Two mortars were fired at an Israeli community in the northern Gaza Strip, causing damage to a number of houses but no casualties.

In the morning, two mortars were fired at the industrial zone of an Israeli community in Gush Katif. Shots were fired at an IDF out post on the Karni-Netzarim road and at an IDF outpost near Rafah.

Security forces arrested five fugitives in Ramallah, one Hamas fugitive in Silwad, north of Ramallah, and five fugitives in Dura, west of Hebron.

Late Tuesday night, undercover border policemen operating in Salfit, north of Nablus, arrested Tanzim fugitive Jirassi Abdel Rahim Al-Dik, 31, who is suspected of planting bombs on the Trans-Samaria Highway.

Near A-til in northern Samaria on Wednesday evening, border policemen captured two Palestinians, one of whom was armed with a Kalashnikov rifle, who they suspect were planning to infiltrate an Israeli settlement. The two were handed over to the Shin Bet for questioning.

Matthew Gutman contributed to this report

Posted by David Melle at January 15, 2004 12:05 AM
Post a comment 

Email Address:



Remember info?

Email this entry
Email this entry to (please enter email address):

Your email address:

Message (optional):

Referrers to this Page


This site contains some copyrighted materials the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml. If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

(According to digits.com)